Shigatse and Tashilunpo Monastery
Shigatse is 280km to the west of Lhasa city by paved road. Shigatse is the second largest city in Tibet, is another political, economic and religious center other than Lhasa.
Shigatse has been the seat of the Panchen Lama, who is traditionally based in Tashilhunpo Monastery. Tashilhunpo is one of Tibet’s highlights and is Shigatse’s foremost attraction. It is located at the west city of Shigatse.
Tashilunpo Monastery was founded in 1447 and is the largest Yellow Hat sect monastery in Tibet. Tashilunpo contains chortens, temples and the Panchen Lama's palace. At its peak, Tashilunpo had more than 4,000 monks in its 4 monasteries. Upon the death of a Panchen Lama, it was the 4 abbots of these monasteries that would lead the search for his infant reincarnation.
Tashilunpo Monastery is a striking red, white and black Tibetan structure with a golden roof. Within the monastery there is a 5 story temple, which contains a 26 meters (86ft) sitting statue of the Maitreya Buddha. The statue was cast from 6,700 ounces of gold and over 115,000 kg of copper, making it the biggest copper Buddhist statue in the world.
The massive Thangka wall at Tashilunpo can be clearly seen from
most points in Shigaste. The wall is used for displaying enormous
Thangkas - religious painted banners - for only a few festival days
Addresss: the west city of Shigatse.
Admission Fee: RMB 70
Opening Hours: 09:00 - 17:00
Recommending Time for a Visit: 2 hour
Recommending Index :